P-COVOX is a 4-channel, discrete component digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that fits under the PIA chip. It isn’t as Hi-Fi as modern sound cards, but its performance may be a lot better than a POKEY – especially playing MODs or NEO files.
Main features :
- Easy fitting – one wire in most cases
- high quality PCB
- transparent for Atari OS / Hardware / Ultimate / etc.
- Equal audio output level on both channels
- Optional pull-up resistors on DATA LINES / not fitted by default/
- ROHS, PB Free
INSIDE BOX :
- A fully tested and assembled P-COVOX
INSTALLATION STEP BY STEP:
Disclaimer: If you are not familiar with soldering or you do not have proper tools, please LET a pro technician do it for you or send me your ATARI BOARD for installation. Upgrade installation cost is 10€ only. Contact me to arrange installation. Otherwise, please remember – wrong tools usage or low skills may damage the Atari and ultimate; any damage/harm to your hardware is NOT subject to any kind of warranty.
If Your PIA chip is NOT socketed:
- desolder PIA CHIP
- solder precise socket into its place (supplied)
- insert P-COVOX
- Insert PIA chip to P-COVOX
If Your PIA chip is socketed:
- remove PIA CHIP
- insert P-COVOX
- Insert PIA CHIP to P-COVOX
Connections to be made with small wire:
- CTRL – select one pin only to set P-COVPX’s address page:
- if you solder CTRL signal to pin 9 of LS138 on Atari board, P-COVOX will be present at $D600
- if you solder CTRL signal to pin 10 of LS138 on Atari board, P-COVOX will be present at $D600
- if you solder CTRL signal to pin 7 of LS138 on Atari board, P-COVOX will be present at $D700
O2 signal problems:
- On the majority of Atari’s middle and RIGHT pins of the JP1 connector shall be jumpered/connected. No further actions are required.
- If Your sound is distorted, remove the jumper; then connect the RIGHT pin of JP1 to CPU pin 39
Connecting P_COVOX audio with stereo out is not a good idea. P-COVOX loudness may be reduced. Thus, LM358 amplifier replacement – U-MIXER is being made to mix 2 pokeys, 2 P-COVOX audio to stereo out, mono out, and modulator audio