Internal accelerator for 8bit ATARI XL series.
- internal CPU turbo card for Atari 800 XL machines (dedicated adapter included),
- WDC 65C816 microprocessor operating at 20 MHz!!!
- managed by Xilinx Spartan6 FPGA and XC95XL CPLD devices,
- 1024kb of zero waitstate SRAM,
- up to 30.5MB of storage ram – SDRAM clocked at 160 MHz!!!
- 512kB of Flash memory (256kB is reserved for FPGA cores, 256kB for OS and New Device handler)
- 256b of EEPROM,
- high-speed bus connector for external I/O interfaces, DMA support,
- working modes, fully software controlled
- low power consumption due to DC/DC converters, no extra power supply required
- on-screen bios menu, accessible by pressing INV ( and hold) + RESET
RAPIDUS UPGRADE may be very problematic with the ULTIMATE 1MB upgrade or VBXE.
Please, install it as a stand-alone upgrade on your computer.
STEP ONE: CPU
- if your CPU is NOT socketed, desolder it carefully, then solder in its place “ADAPTUS 800XL 6502C SIDE” with bottom socket
- if your CPU is socketed, remove it from the socket carefully, insert ” ADAPTUS 800XL 6502C SIDE” without bottom socket (original ATARI sockets removal and usage of supplied precision ones along with supplied adapters STRONGLY SUGGESTED)
STEP TWO: OS ROM
- if your ROM is NOT socketed, desolder it carefully, then solder in its place “ADAPTUS 800XLRAPIDUS SIDE” with bottom socket
- if your ROM is socketed, remove it from the socket carefully, insert “ADAPTUS 800XL RAPIDUS SIDE” without bottom socket (original ATARI sockets removal and usage of supplied precision ones along with supplied adapters STRONGLY SUGGESTED)
STEP THREE: CONNECTION, TEST
- Connect two adapters with supplied flat cable ( WARNING! PIN 1 must pin connected to PIN 1, etc..)
- Insert PROPERLY desoldered/removed CPU and ROM back into sockets at “ADAPTUS 800XL RAPIDUS SIDE”
- POWER ON ATARI
- If ATARI doesn`t start – please check Your WORK ONCE AGAIN
- Remove CPU from the socket and insert it to RAPIDUS
- Insert RAPIDUS into CPU SOCKET
STEP FIVE; make connections to RAPIDUS plug:
- Power off Atari
for Atari 800XL without Freddy chip
- EXTSEL – 9 pin of 74ls08
- MPD – 14 pin of MMU
- GND – example – pin 7 of 74ls08
for Atari 800XL with Freddy chip:
- GND – example – Freddie CHIP pin 20
- EXTSEL – Freddie pin 3
- MPD – MMU pin 14
- power ON ATARI
- on some ataris below patch has to be applied
- O2 signal pull down – in case, when your RAPIDUS has problems with core loading (progress bar stops), please, make another patch: solder 3kOhm resistor between 74LS08 pin 1 (o2) and pin 7 (Gnd)
- If you are not familiar with soldering or you do not have proper tools, please LET a pro technician do it for you.
- Please remember – wrong tool usage or low skills may damage Atari and ultimately; any damage/harm to your hardware is NOT subject to any kind of warranty.
- Installation is easy, but inexperienced hands can do a lot of damage.